Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Reviving a blog

What's it been...a year? Yep, almost to the day. And I'm reviving my knitting blog. Some might wonder what the point is. I might wonder, too, if I didn't have a project in mind.

Some time ago, I picked up Inspired to Knit by Michelle Rose Orne, and fell in love with each and every garment in the book. Seriously. Well, okay, I confess that I'm iffy on the fair isle capelet, and the Lily of the Valley shrug, but only because this type of garment isn't particularly flattering. Everything else...wowza!

So I had this idea. I'm gonna knit every single garment in that book. Every one. Initially, I thought I'd challenge myself to do it in a year. I still think that's possible, but it's not terribly likely. I work full-time and am a single mother with a little girl who's dying for her own hand knits, for starters. Also, Christmas is coming and I plan on knitting gifts from my stash to save some money. So I can't commit all my time to knitting from the book when I have so much more knitting I want to get done. So I'm thinking that I'll give myself as long as it takes, but would like to finish in 18 months, which will give me breaks to do some other knitting along the way.

I can do this one of two ways, and I haven't figured out which way to go. I can start now and kick off my 18 months on September 1. That's my preference, because I'm itching to get started. Or I can wait until I finish the projects that are on my needles - there aren't many - and until I do my Christmas knitting. This is more practical, but a lot less fun. So over the next couple days I'm going to think it over. Then I'll post my decision.

I'm looking forward to this project. It will be pricey, no doubt - I have a love of natural fibers and good yarns - but it will be satisfying, as well. Not to mention the fact that, when I'm finished, I'll have loads of gorgeous knitwear! Who could complain about that?

No comments: