Saturday, February 9, 2008

Jumping on the bandwagon

I've resisted a crafts blog for long enough. I have, in the past, blogged about random things, but I didn't blog my fiber work (mainly knitting, but crochet, too) mainly because I didn't see myself keeping up with it. I mean, writing about the stuff I see, hear, and think is one thing, but blogging AND updating with project information AND remembering to post pictures....gads!

Then I joined Ravelry (my screen name is emmasfabmom) and saw how all things yarn can come together in a glorious blend...and I wanted. I needed. I had to have a blog AND a Flickr account and, of course, every single book, magazine, project, and yarn that I own had to go into my Ravelry notebook. And then I wanted to buy more, more, MORE, all so I could put that into Ravelry, too! I'm a crazed Raveler, a total fiber-crafts spaz, and I knew that there was no avoiding the inevitable. So her I am.

A bit about me: I'm a librarian at a beloved (and, sadly, beleaguered) library in the Midwest. I'm a mom to a gorgeous little girl, Emma (thus the Ravelry screen name) who will be heading into kindergarten this fall...sigh. I've been crocheting for 15 years and resisted knitting for a long time, simply because it seemed so trendy. But with the trendiness came gorgeous patterns (something that crochet, for the most part, has not caught up with), and so after the first few rows of a simple scarf I was hooked. Now I knit and crochet and enjoy the positive aspects of both: the speed of crochet and the intricacy of knit. And, really, knit garments beat crochet ones hands down.

I anticipate that this blog will be a vehicle for displaying my work, but there's no way that I'll be able to resist blabbing about my life in general. I have opinions and they must be shared! But I also hope that this will be a comfortable place to visit and that my writing entertains. Please comment and come back often!