Sunday, February 10, 2008

Loving the library

As I mentioned in my first post, I'm a librarian. You can safely assume that this means I love books. In fact, as I was sorting through my and my daughter's collections of books this morning, trying to decide what to donate to our local public library, it occurred to me that I am nearly incapable of saying goodbye to a book (aside from those crappy Harlequins that I used to adore...ahem). Anyway, as I said, I love books. Sadly, a librarian's salary doesn't allow one to purchase all the books she would like, particularly when that salary must also stretch to accommodate full-time child care costs. Thus, my love for libraries in general (which I felt, by the way, before becoming a librarian, so there).

Lately I've checked out what seems like a never-ending stream of knitting pattern books. I tend to gravitate toward those published by Interweave Press (my love of all things Interweave is for a later post). Today I checked out Lace Style and am itching to start knitting away. There are so, so, so many great patterns in there, far too many to mention. But I'll be adding them to my Ravelry queue so, if you're on Ravelry, take a peek and get inspired. Of course, I'm behind the curve where this book is concerned (it's copyright 2007), but Interweave patterns are rarely too trendy, which means whether I knit from this book next week or next year, the garments I create will be contemporary and stylish. For now, I'm finishing a seed-stitch cardigan for my daughter from the Yarn Girls' Guide to Kid Knits book, and a vest for myself from the Yarn Girls' Guide to Knits for All Seasons . I've also cast on the Lotus Blossom Tank from Interweave Knits Summer 2006, something I've been wanting to make for a long time. And yet, with my recent library check-outs, I have a serious case of start-itis.

Still, I think I'll just hold off until I've at least completed the Yarn Girls patterns. I only need to add buttons to the cardi, and the vest is about 75% finished. Certainly, once they're done, casting on a lace project won't hurt...right?

2 comments:

Marmee said...

OH, I love your choices for new projects. I have all those books on my list and also have one of those on the needles. I love libraries too, the librarians know me by now, with my homeschooling family we usually check out 50 books at a time. They probably have a love/hate thing going on with me!! LOL

Stephanie... said...

I know how you feel about books! While I'm not a librarian (I'm an editor), I belong to three bookclubs. Do you know about paperbackswap.com? It's a lifesaver! Love the knitting projects, too (which is how I got over here--I am in a loose knit group).