Thursday, March 6, 2008

And yet another non-knitting post


I'm a Hillary Clinton fan. Now, if you're reading this and are not a fan, please don't bombard me with comments on all the reason you don't like Hillary. I like her and am not in the mood to argue.

When she announced her candidacy for the Democratic nomination, one of my first thoughts was that I would love for Emma to see her in person. I want Emma to grow up without ever questioning the extents to which a woman can rise. I kept my eyes peeled and my ears open for an announcement of a local campaign stop but, as the primary drew closer, I figured the opportunity to see her wouldn't come.

Then I got one of those annoying recorded phone calls, the kind that I usually hang up on. Only this time, I listened, and discovered that Hillary would be stopping very near my house. I was thrilled!

So, this past Sunday, my mom, my daughter, and I all went to see Hillary Clinton speak. She was fantastic! She was Presidential and authoritative, but appeared to be very approachable. She's an excellent speaker and I enjoyed her a great deal...as did Emma.

When we voted in our local primary on Tuesday, Emma went to the machine with me and found Hillary's name. She was happy to participate and happy when, the next day, we learned that Hillary had won. When she went to bed, Emma said to me, "Mama, when I grow up, I'm gonna VOTE!"

That's my girl...both of them!

No comments: